Unsightly and Untidy Properties
The Enforcement Services Department handles all calls for Unsightly and Untidy Properties in Vulcan County and the Villages Arrowwood, Carmangay, Champion, Milo and Lomond.
A Helping to keep our community at its best
Most Vulcan County residents take great pride in the appearance of their property, and value well-kept neighborhoods as part of the overall quality of life. Enforcement of Unsightly Properties is especially important for residents living in close proximity to each other such as Hamlets and Villages.
Below is a summary of our regulations that relate to untidy properties:
- Loose garbage, yard waste, bottles, cans, boxes, household furniture, packaging materials, parts of machinery, equipment, appliances and automobile parts must be stored so that they are not visible from outside of the property.
- Long or unkempt grass and accumulation of weeds. Lack of maintenance and repair.
- Accumulation of offensive material is prohibited. This includes animal remains, animal feces and materials that create unpleasant odors or are likely to attract pests.
- Open or exposed storage of industrial fluid is prohibited — including engine oil, brake fluid, antifreeze or any hazardous materials.
- Refrigerators and freezers stored outside must be locked or have the doors removed and must not be visible from outside the property.
- Building materials are not allowed to accumulate unless the owner can establish that construction or renovation is taking place or imminent. The materials must be stacked in an orderly manner and the amount of material must be reasonable for the planned project.
In Vulcan County and our Hamlets we utilize the Municipal Government Act (MGA) as it relates to untidy properties in order to maintain safe and clean communities, that people want to live in.
Each of the Villages will have their own Community Standards Bylaws that outline expectations in their respective communities. Please refer to your Village Office or their website for more information.
This page is an overview. Please refer to the actual bylaws for more detailed information.