Important Dates for Assessment and Taxation
There are many important dates and deadlines that relate to assessment and taxation. The following are the dates relating to the 2017 tax levies:
July 1st, 2016
Assessments for the 2017 tax year are based on the value your property would likely have sold for on the real estate market as of this date.
December 31st, 2016
Any changes in physical condition of your property as of this date are factored into your property assessment.
April / May 2017
County Council approves the 2017 municipal budget and finalizes the Provincial Education, Marquis Foundation, and the Municipal property tax rates.
May 31st, 2017
The 2017 Combined Assessment and Tax Notices are mailed out and the Assessment Roll is open for viewing.
July 1st, 2017
Deadline to apply for the Tax Instalment Payment Plan (TIPPs) for the 2017 tax levies.
July 31st, 2017
Deadline to appeal the assessment value of your property with the local Assessment Review Board (ARB). The Assessment Roll is closed for viewing.
July 31st, 2017
Deadline to pay property taxes.
August 1st, 2017
Penalty of six percent (6%) on unpaid current year taxes outstanding.
October 1st, 2017
Penalty of three percent (3%) on unpaid current year taxes outstanding.
December 1st, 2017
Penalty of three percent 3% on unpaid current year taxes outstanding.
January 1st, 2018
Penalty of twelve percent (12%) on unpaid tax arrears outstanding.
Note that effective January 1st, 2017, Council has made some changes to the tax & assessment deadlines:
- Tax Notices are anticipated to be mailed out on or before May 31st, 2017
- Deadline for application to TIPPs program is set for July 1st, 2017
- Deadline for appealing assessment is anticipated to be July 30th, 2017 (60 days after the tax notice is mailed)
- Deadline for payment of Property Taxes is July 31st, 2017
- Tax Penalties have been revised to a 6% penalty as at August 1st, 2017, 3% penalty as at October 1st, 2017, and a 3% penalty as at December 1st, 2017