If you are planning to build, modify or change a structure, or change the way you are using your land, a development permit will likely be required. See here for a list of developments that do not require a permit. (Sched 3). What you are allowed to develop on your property depends on its "land use zoning". In the Land Use Bylaw, each land use designation contains a list of "discretionary" and "permitted" uses allowed. If you do not see your proposed development listed as a use, you may be required to amend the Land Use Bylaw and rezone your property first.
To find out what your land use designation is, follow this link to VC Maps and proceed as follows:
- Click on the icon indicating Guest Login
- Once VC Maps initializes, hover your mouse over the “Search” tab, in the top left corner, then hover over “Property”, then choose whichever search function you have information for (example: if you know the Legal Land Description, click on Legal Description)
- Type the address into the bar and click submit. The results should appear in the left hand column.
- Along the toolbar at the top of the screen is a tab labelled “Legend” click on it. Find the “Development” label in the list and click the “+” to expand it.
- Click on the “+” next to “Land Use Zoning” to expand the list and ensure the box next to it is checked. The map should change to a colour gradient that will correspond with the matching zoning listed in the legend. If it does not appear, ensure the “Orthophotos” box at the bottom of the list is unchecked. The colour gradient should appear.
If you already know your land use designation, click on the Land Use Bylaws Schedules below for the appropriate section of the land use bylaw.
|01-Rural General||141.28 kb||Download Preview|
|02-Small Holdings||130.70 kb||Download Preview|
|03-Single lot Country Residential||122.12 kb||Download Preview|
|04-Grouped Country Residential||141.78 kb||Download Preview|
|05-Urban Fringe||136.71 kb||Download Preview|
|06-Hamlet Residential||139.05 kb||Download Preview|
|07-Hamlet Commercial||136.20 kb||Download Preview|
|08-Rural Industrial||126.77 kb||Download Preview|
|09-Rural Commercial||121.44 kb||Download Preview|
|10-Reservoir Vicinity||137.63 kb||Download Preview|
|11-Rural Recreational||182.34 kb||Download Preview|
|12-Public Service||110.49 kb||Download Preview|
|13-Direct Control||98.93 kb||Download Preview|
|14-Sched 3||91.77 kb||Download Preview|
|15-Sched 4||235.18 kb||Download Preview|
|16-Sched 5||287.62 kb||Download Preview|
|17-Sched 6||93.35 kb||Download Preview|